Automated testing tools are a must for any mobile app tester. Properly strategized automated testing can reduce the time needed for the testing process and the chances of human errors during test execution. So have a question in mind which are the best mobile application testing tools for testing.
There are innumerable mobile app performance testing tools available. Some of them are free to use and some are expensive. Each tool has its own unique features. A broad range of automation tools makes it difficult to select the best one for a project and often testers end up using tools that aren’t perfect enough for the project requirements.
Best Mobile Application Testing Tools of 2019
There are numerous platforms and operating systems, testing scenarios and a variety of network connections and carriers in the picture for mobile app performance testing.
Appium is an open-source and cross-platform test automation tool for the iOS, native and hybrid. It supports Android versions from 2.3 onwards. It supports many programming languages like Java, Ruby, C#, and others which are in the web driver library.
Appium automates Android using the UI Automator library, by Google as a part of the Android SDK. It can be synchronized with a testing framework TestNG. Being a cross-platform tool, it allows the programmers to reuse the source code amongst Android and iOS.
Advantages of Appium: -
- Due to the use of standard automation APIs on all platforms, you don’t have to modify or re-compile your app in any way.
- Easy to set-up on a different platform.
- You can use any web-driver compatible language to write the test case.
- You don’t have to re-compile mobile app on a different platform
- It can be integrated with the other tools with the help of Java.
Robotium is an open-source tool to test all the versions of Android applications along with its sub-versions. It tests all Android, hybrid and native apps. Tests of Robotium are written in Java. It is very easy to write powerful automatic black-box test cases for Android applications.
It automates multiple Android activities and creates solid test cases in a short span of time.
Advantages of Robotium: -
- Powerful test cases can be created even with minimal knowledge of the project.
- It handles multiple Android activities simultaneously.
- Easily synchronizes with Ant or Maven to run tests as a part of continuous integration.
- It is possible to run the test cases on applications that are pre-installed.
Calabash is an open-source tool that enables the test code to interact programmatically with the native as well as hybrid apps. It automates and tests your applications over 1000+ devices in the cloud. Programmers can have APIs that allow the native apps to run on touch screen devices. It also supports the Cucumber framework.
Calabash is an automated testing framework maintained by Xamarin. It consists of two open-source libraries such as one for Android and another one for iOS for testing native and hybrid apps. It works well with Java, Ruby, Flex, .Net and many other programming languages.
Calabash has libraries that permit test-codes to interact with hybrid and native apps programmatically.
Advantages of Calabash: -
- It is an open-source tool.
- Contains libraries to interact with hybrid and native apps.
- It automates and tests over 1000+ devices in the cloud.
Selendroid is a test automation framework that drives off the UI of Android native and hybrid applications and mobile web. Client API tests are written using Selenium 2.
Advantages of Selendroid: -
- It is completely compatible with the JSON wire protocol.
- No alteration of the app under test is needed to automate it.
- UI elements can be found with different locator types.
- Selendroid can be used on Mac, Linux and Windows.
- It is an open-source and compatible with various devices and emulators.
Selendroid comes with a tool known as Selenium Inspector that allows you to inspect the current state of your app’s UI.
Kobiton gives clients full control over genuine cellphones during manual testing with the support for multi-touch gestures, camera, GPS simulations, speaker control and device connection management. It is one of the most reliable manual mobile testing tools. Kobiton captures all the actions performed during a test session, so issues can be identified and resolved more quickly.
Advantages of Kobiton: -
- The latest real, cloud-based devices and configurations.
- Centralized testing history and data logs for increased collaboration.
- It supports Appium 1.6.4.
- It simplifies user experience to streamline test sessions
- Internal Device Lab Management to effectively utilize internal devices
These are great tools for automated testing of mobile applications and software. Some of the best manual mobile testing tools are also included. All of the above tools provide excellent performance and exciting features for testing mobile applications.
How to Select the Best Automation Tool?
- Identify the tests that need to be automated.
- Research and analyze the tools that meet your automation requirements.
- Do a trial on the two best tools as per your requirements and budget.
- Select the most suitable one or more tools as per your needs.
- Discuss the chosen tools with the other stakeholders, explain the choice and get them approved.
- Proceed with the test automation.
If you are looking for quality mobile testing services, do contact us, the best mobile application testing company in Waterloo and Toronto. We have experienced team of experts to check the functionality, usability, consistency and security of your application.